Thursday, May 10, 2007

Guess we better ask for pay, huh?

While reading the newspaper this morning, I came across an article talking about a mothers club now offered in Utah County. They had some interesting statistics and points made in the article that I thought would be interesting to put here in my blog. I knew motherhood was a huge job, very well as a matter of fact, as I did it, raising 4 children. ( I can say is at this point it was like a dream, I can't remember some of it, it was if it didn't happen. All the hard work, I mean. Just like you forget the pain you had bearing them that you want to have another child.) So here is an excerpt:


"With so many kids, stay at home mothers in Utah County can expect to fill the shoes of a day-care worker, janitor, laundry attendant, counselor, and teacher.

Being expected to act as at least 15 different career qualifications, the salary would be well over $90,000 for fulfilling daily tasks, according to a report by Regina Robo at salary.com. Factoring in the seven-day, 90-hour workweek, it would add an estimated $25,000 in overtime annually, Robo said. The salary was calculated by figuring out the average pay for job titles, responsibilities and qualifications, and weighing them on a scale of importance, frequency, and the average time spent on each task.

Even with so much to do, a recent survey of more than 2,000 Americans says mothers today still aren't measuring up to their earlier counterparts.

Conducted by the Pew Research Center, the study says mothers today have a harder job raising kids but are also worse at it. More than 70 percent of the respondents said it is more difficult to be a mother, and 56 percent say women aren't measuring up to their earlier counterparts.

The biggest influence parents worry about is societal factors affecting their children -- including drugs, TV/Internet/movies, peer pressure, safety and keeping them out of trouble. A copy of the study is available at www.pewresearch.org/pubs/468/motherhood.

Figure
A national survey by the Pew Research Center.

This story appeared in The Daily Herald on page A1. "

This article to me says, we have a lot to battle as families. President Hinckley has stated that the media will be the last great battlefront. And, in part, it is because of that media families are facing the social problems it states above far greater than ever before.

So my prayers go out to all mothers, especially the mothers of my grandchildren, whom I cherish and love so much!! Keep up the good work!

2 comments:

Lara Neves said...

Who do I present my bill to?

Hilary said...

Well, but husbands would get a fair paycheck too...
We're all getting screwed in the long run... :)
We might as well watch a little TV.